Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Interview with Tim Hines of Tropical Popsicle

Stolen from the band's facebook. Photograph by Marissa Parsons.
Tropical Popsicle is the brainchild of San Diego's very own Timothy Hines. With a definite orientation towards the sixties sunshine and the fun of it all, the music is nostalgia for a time unknown. Pumped with just enough reverb to keep it fresh, the music keeps your senses buzzing. All in all, just fun, beachy kind of music. I got to talk to Timothy Hines, the principal songwriter in the band over email and talk about future hopes for the band, name origin, and plenty of other things.






How'd Tropical Popsicle begin?
It started as a side/solo project I was doing in my bedroom in the Summer of 2010. I was writing simple songs with the idea that I might use them in my other band Lights On, which is not a simple band.


You are the creative drive behind Tropical Popsicle. How long have
you been making music for?

I've been writing and recording music for about 15yrs. Longer than I havent been doing it..


The name has a really good ring to it. Where'd it come from?
The name came out of the blue. I was spinning records at a local venue and the owner said "whats your DJ name, I said, 'I dont know, Tropical Popsicle??' Haha.  Some local rag posted a week later that I had a new side project (which wasn't the case). I needed a name for the new shit I was doing and just used it. About 4 months after this instance. 


You're based in Southern California. Does living here influence
your guys' songwriting?

Not really, waves and sunshine are the last thing I think about when writing music. I love the Beach Boys, but tend to dwell in darker spaces mentally and geographically when writing tunes, for the time being. 


You guys have a 7-inch out. Any other albums coming out soon?
Were putting out a full length vinyl LP this summer and possibly another split EP with our friends from San Diego, New Mexico (the band, not state).


Digital or analog recording?
Both, I will record with anything that facilitates the recording process the fastest. Mostly hybrid.


What are Tropical Popsicle's influences?
Myths, Theories, Magik, the Occult, remnants of Psychotropic Drugs, oh yeah... Early Pink Floyd, early Rolling Stones, Suicide, VU, Cabaret Voltaire, Wire etc etc.


What's a piece of musical equipment would you love to try/own?
I've tried all these but will love to someday own: a Mellotron, Optigon, Vibraphone and Marimba.


What's a record that you think almost everyone should hear?
Their Satanic Majesties Request by The Rolling Stones, Kaleidoscope  by Siouxsie and The Banshees. Thats two.


How do you feel about the current climate of the music scene?
BAD BAD BAD.


Were there any projects before Tropical Popsicle?
Yes many, to mention a few, Lights On, The Stereotypes, Jersey Thursday.


Random Zone
When you were a kid, what was the worst/most fucked up thing you ever did?
Tipped over cars with my skateboard pals ( a whole bunch of em').


What's the one thing that the Fonz (Happy Days) has that you want?
Hot Chix and a Kool Leather Jacket.


Gotta love it. Check out the tunes, because they are most definitely foxy.


Facebook-http://www.facebook.com/troppop?sk=wall
Bandcamp-http://tropicalpopsicle.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment